Sunday, November 20, 2005

Here comes Sinterklaus...

This will be a most entertaining post, I promise.
I am going to tell you all about the lovely holiday of Sinterklaus (like Christmas but not at all) on the 5th of December. But the parade for the holiday was today...so it was kind of today.

Here is what it is:

Sinterklaus "arrives from Spain" on a boat riding a white horse, dressed as the pope but in red, and accompanied by a band of small black men who the children all call "Pete" for some reason. The boat docked at the museum across from De Poorte, so I had a great view from my window. After the boat docks, he stays there for awhile while people sing silly songs and stuff. Then he leaves the boat on parade around the city while the children yell "Pete, Pete!" to get the attention of the black men (Dutchies paint themselves to look black) who take letters to Sinterklaus from the children and hand out or throw papernoten (little gingerbread cookies...quite yummy actually) at the kids. If the children are bad, they will be taken by the black men back to Spain.

Such a stange, strange holiday. One I cannot quite figure out...seems a bit racist, too, but the true black people come out to celebrate also, so I guess it is all ok with everyone. It is quite entertaining to hear about it and see it all. Thought you all would enjoy hearing about it.

Alright. All of you enjoy your day now. Later gators.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

As winter approaches thoughts are turning to the joy of the holidays that are rapidly approaching. Thanksgiving is on Friday and BJ thinks that cranberries are some kind of treacherous poison. I guess this is my chance to educate that boy. Haha. We miss you and are happy to hear about your successes and challenges along the road you have chosen.

Anonymous said...

BJ and I are thinking of buying a ferret hoodie for our furry little friend. It would be completely ridiculous, but might be worth the entertainment value.

God bless!

Michelle said...

Sandy,

hmm...I had no idea of the cranberry adversion my brother has...I always thought he loved our mother's home-made cranberry sauce! I know I will be missing it for sure. I will probably be downing some kind of Uzbeki meat dish...mmm

Also, Thanksgiving is on Thursday, so make sure you don't miss it!
Go for the hoodie and send me the pics, ok?
Thanks for all the interest and support, I am so thankful to know that people are behind me. Keep checking this site b/c I plan to keep it updated as often as possible while I am on outreach!
love you!