Monday, August 31, 2009

at least I tried...

So, you heard I was going to update you on the Amstedam Outreach, right?
I do so with hesitation...
That is because I am a little embarrassed to reveal a certain story. One of the days, some of the students were going to stand in front of Central Station with T-shirts advertising "free hugs". They were doing this to share love and also get people's attention so they could talk with them.

The evening before the free hugs event, I was in De Poort. I was about to leave to go home when one of the Korean staff beckoned me to follow her. I followed her into a room where some staff were preparing the T-shirts by writing on them in permanent marker. They asked me to help by translating "free hugs" into Dutch for them.
Oh, I thought. How nice that they are asking me. This will be no problem. simple.
Uhh, should have been simple. But my poor American mind quickly translated the first words that came into my mind (remember I was about to leave and go home for the night) so, with a big, proud-of-myself smile, I wrote "Vrij knuffel".

I biked home, had a nice evening with my Finnish friend Elina, then snuggled down into bed...until, WHAT?! I practically jerked up in bed. What, oh what had I done?
I immediately felt myself blush (though I was all alone) as I realized I had translated one of the words incorrectly. Instead of "Vrij knuffel" it should have been "Gratis knuffel".

We Americans have one word for free which has several meanings. In Dutch there is a separate word for free indicating 'freedom' and free indicating 'no cost'.
Man, just when I thought I was doing well with Dutch!

I just felt bad for all those students out there with this nonsense message splashed across their T-shirts.

...but I still feel I am getting along well in Dutch!

No comments: