Wednesday, December 13, 2006

selamat malam...

...means good evening in Indonesian.

I am here in lovely little Singapore right now, and it definitely feels like SE Asia here=hot, sticky, and rainy. I know even hotter weather will attack us in Indonesia, so this is a good buffer zone for us.

I am at what must sure be the most organized YWAM base ever. The staff here are one step ahead on everything and are so accommodating and hospitable. They are really just lovely people.
We got a good tour of the city yesterday. It was dark so we were able to view the skyline all lit up against the sea. It is definitely Western and Americanized in many ways here. Everything is written in English and the people all speak English. I feel like I must be wearing some special English helmet that allows me to understand these absolutely Asian looking people to communicate so clearly with me! But no, it is just one of the unique things about Singapore.
Another thing that is quite unique to Singapore is the Merlion. Yes, that is right, I said Merlion. What the heck is that? Well, dear ones, it is simply a lion's head with a mermaid body. He is the icon of Singapore.
The story goes that when some foreign captain sailed to the coast of Singapore (I think he was from England) that he supposedly saw this strange sea creature rise out of the waters. Not too impressive of a story, but the legend lives on...
The highlight for me was finding out that one of their staff here is from Korea and he invited me to a Korean dinner with he and his wife. I am quite excited about that.

Today we started classes and I don't know what else to say but that it was truly amazing. Joseph (name of the man who spoke) is one of the most genuinely passionate people I have met who are passionate without being all hyper and loud. When he speaks, God is almost surely speaking through him. I look forward to hearing more tomorrow.
We also had language learning classes (hence the subject line) for a couple hours and we will have some more of those classes as well.

Tomorrow I will go to apply for our Indonesian visas. If all goes well, we will have them by Tuesday of next week. Please pray for that as you think of it.

Ok, there are students in line for a computer so I must bid you all adeiu.

much love to you all! xoxo

No comments: