Monday, December 18, 2006

Orchard Road

On Saturday night our team went to Orchard Road to minister through songs, skits, dances, and short testimonies. It is not permissable by law to proselatize (I am not sure of the spelling there) in public, so we were admonished to indeed speak out about Jesus but to keep it very short and to the point (they do not want the ywam ministry here comprimised because we "felt from God to take the microphone and preach"). We honored their laws and were still able to impact several people.

Orchard Road is the Kalverstraat (or Times Square) of Singapore...only it is Kalverstraat on steriods. I seriously have never seen so many people packed onto one street in my life. There are four million people living in this city and with the added tourists at this time of year, I think they all came out that night to shop.
The amazing things is that ONLY Christian churches and groups are performing on the different Christmas stages set up along the road.
Our group put together some Christmas carols in various languages, a hip-hop dance, and some skits. Our first performance was not so well received...so we thought. Everyone just sat in their respective chairs and clapped politely. On the last song (Bambayla of course) no one would dance with us. But afterwards, we talked to a lot of people and a man from Bangeladesh even wanted to follow us to our next stage performance.
That stage was directly in the line of traffic of people walking down the street. I was filming the performance on a camcorder and was almost pushed off the sidewalk ledge (about 5 feet above the cars) the entire time. It was really good though. So many people walking by recognized the different languages we were singing (chinese, indonesian, dutch, and of course english) and one Indonesian man stopped to cheer during a song. I asked him if he could understand our pernunciation and he said of course. I ended up talking with him and two others from his group (Christians and there to sing on our stage after us). He is from a church in Java and we may end up going to their town and helping them in some community service. He was so so so excited to meet us.
We debriefed last night about what happened at that performance and students told how they were excited to invite people to church (one group of three girls came yesterday!), led people in the prayer for salvation!, and prayed for many other things. Some students also told about personal breakthroughs they had themselves during the performance. I loved hearing about that.

We have some more performances this week in the evenings. I look forward to sharing more good news soon.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Michelle! I'm so happy to hear that you are doing well. I am rading madly through your posts right now since my computer died and I haven't really spent time on the internet for over a month now. BJ and I are both cheering for you.