Disneyland--that is what Charles (our DTS leader who is in Amsterdam) refers to Jerusalem as for us...and basically it is true since we are technically on debriefing now.
I must say that Jerusalem is a truly unique city and that there is nowhere else I can think of that comes close to a comparison for what I have experienced here.
We are staying at a really nice little youth hostel in the heart of the Christian quarter. The shopping streets are just outside our doors which is convenient, but can be annoying to have to walk through all the peddlars as they call out for you to enter their shop. The hostel is very much my style--old and hippyish.
I took a city tour (of the old city) this morning with the group. Our guide was a Messianic Jew, so it was quite interesting for me to hear how he explained everything we saw today. My favorite thing I have seen so far has been the Wailing Wall. It is so intense to go and watch everyone praying...it is especially surreal if you happen to be there during one of the Muslim prayer times...what a clash of sounds...what a clash of religion...what an incredibly rare experience.
I am thouroughly enjoying my time here and feel so grateful that our outreach included Israel. I would highly, HIGHLY recommend anyone to come here. You will be astonished by what all you experience...nothing compares to it...nothing can.
I will have to talk to everyone to effectively express and explain what I have seen here...hope that I will be able to talk to most of you...
Love you all!
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment