Monday, March 06, 2006

Salt in the Wounds

On Sunday, the team met at 3:30am for our trek up Mt. Masada to watch the sunrise. It was quite beautiful and worth the early morning workout. Afterwards, we headed to the Dead Sea for a much anticipated "swim." It was one of the most unique experiences of my life. Due to the high salt content, swimming is practically impossible. Instead, you just float around. I have never been more bouyant in my life, and it was so funny to watch everyone practically sitting on top of the water. Those of us with any cuts were in pain and a few cut their feet on the rocks of salt formed on the bottom of the sea. I think I can say for all of us that it was all worth it for this once-in-a-lifetime swim.
Next, our tour took us to Jericho...hmm, not so impressive. We did get to see the Sycamore tree that is believed to be the one Zaccheas climbed. Other than that, the city was much like any other residential area you would imagine in this area. What made up for all the anti-climatism (is that even a word?) was the fact that we were in the West Bank! Yea, danger! Not really. We were definitely in the Palestine area though the West makes it sound as though the entire West Bank area is volatile and unsafe. I, however, just saw families and people living normal lives=smiling at us and waving. It was a nice experience and very good for me to see.

Today the team spent time reminiscing all the people, places, and things we experienced during outreach. We thanked God and sang in a lovely park area on Mt. Zion.
Tomorrow is a free day...I MAY be going to Bethlehem or Galilee if money permits me to do so.
Oh, and just to get back to you about the weather. It is quite, quite warm here and several of us are sunburned (including me). I guess we will take the burns after just being in -25 degree (that's celsius) weather only two weeks ago!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

3...2...1... Amsterdam! I have enjoyed reading your updates. You're an amazing writer, Michelle! I took a snipit & forwarded to our church.

We look forward to seeing you back in the Netherlands & hearing more about the goodness of God.

Greetings to the rest of the team.

Love,

Rosalie

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,

I've sure enjoyed, (paniced, laughed, feared, ...) all your blogs! I'm so glad you are now safe in Amsterdam! And hope I will be able to see you when you get back to the states.

Grandma had her knee replacement surgery two weeks ago. After recoopering some in a nursing home I spent the next week with her. She is home bound now for about 4 more weeks. But she is progressing very well. I know she will really enjoy hearing from you when you get back.

Love and miss you!
Aunt Beth