Tonight I rode on the back of a bike for the first time. I know this really impresses all of you, so let me further explain:
The Dutch have this little flat part that sticks out over the back wheel of most of their bikes. It is to put stuff on like bags, etc...but people many times will sit back there, too. It isn't healthy for the back tire, but it is nice when not everyone has a bike to ride.
Two Dutch students were taking the train to their home towns for the weekend so Sue (Canadian) and I rode on the back of bikes to the station with them, so we could ride the bikes back. Well, for me, I had to carry a large, heavy bag of Kimberly's (Suriname/Dutch) and ride on the back for the first time EVER! You have to let the driver start riding then kind of run and hop on the back saddle style and balance there. I didn't even fall off, folks, yeah! I was so proud of myself.
On the way back, I had to hold the bike steering with one hand and hold my skirt down with the other (I also feel so Dutch by riding while wearing a skirt. They do it all the time, you just have to use one hand to make sure your skirt doesn't ride up. Well, while doing that precarious driving, I saw Sue in front of me get caught in the tram rails on the ground (it happens often if you are not riding perpendicular to the tracks. They are the "perfect" size for the bike tires to get caught in). I started laughing then the same thing happened to me! Pride before the fall right? I didn't fall, but just nearly. So Sue was then laughing at me, then it happened to her again! What fun Amsterdam is by bike!
We ended up getting back to De Poorte in one piece, and enjoying the ride back. If I just had a few more months here, I know I could master the bike riding...
I plan to spend a quiet weekend again this weekend resting before diving into all the outreach preparation. What do you all have planned? Anything special? I would love to hear, so drop a line anytime.
Nightie night. I am not actually going to bed. I am about to go watch a movie with several of the staff and students. good times!
Before I go I want to make sure I really emphasize how truly, truly grateful I am for all of your prayers. I need them so much.
God is hearing them, too. Just this morning in worship, our leader Charles (from Australia) came over to pray for me and got a really good word from God for me. Every time he gets a word, it has been DIRECTLY from the mouth of God. It was so what I needed to hear. So when you pray for God to reach me, He answers by speaking to other and me here. So please continue as the prayers will be my lifeline while I am on outreach.
Love y'all
Friday, December 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Michelle,
I just read on the BLOG. It has been forever, because i couldn't remember the address and would forget to ask what it was!!!
I am so excited to hear about the Woman that received Christ and how the Holy Spirit gave you the interpretation of the Spanish!!
Your bike adventure sounded so FUN!
Thanks to all the bloggers for praying for Michelle and supoorting her. And Micheleee, Bill and I thank you for all the emails and phone calls. We love you!!
Merry Christmas to all!
The MOM
Post a Comment