Tuesday, July 14, 2009

life right now

The June DTS has started.
I am part-time staff since I am still doing my Dutch language study (which goes very well by the way. My goal is to be able to speak comfortably by the time we go to America in December).
Our school is composed of 21 students. Over half are Koreans and the rest come from all over (Australia, USA, Djibouti, and Belgium).
Last week was a powerfully emotional encounter for many of them. The stastic for Koreans is that 80% of women will be sexually abused in their lifetime. That statistic proved true for our students (also including the girls from other countries!). It was very heart-wrenching to hear them tell their stories, but then we had a time of ministry and God was able to begin a deep work in them. I look forward to seeing even more transformation as the school progresses.

Bas will teach the school in about 2 weeks on "Identity in Christ". Right now he is not only co-leader for the school but also acting Base Director while our base director is out of the country. He is feeling the stress and busyness, but doing well to make sure he has enough rest.

As I mentioned above, we will be coming to America in December to celebrate the holidays. We would love to get together with any of you, so please let me know even now if you want to get together so we can start planning. We will only be in America for 3 weeks and the days are already filling up quickly!

Love you all! Here is a photo of all our students:

Oh yeah, for those who have not yet heard, my neighbors had an old bike with broken hand brakes which they gave to me for free! Bas got some new brake wires and installed them and it is doing very well. No more side-saddle!!

2 comments:

Rylie Suzanna said...

Me, me, me! I want to plan a slot of time with you. I'm not sure when we'll be in KC in December, but hopefully around Christmas time.

pizzaboy said...

Woot! Sounds great. I wish I had the time/money to come see you every couple years. Millie and Marty will be very happy to see you.

Sandy and I are looking at buying a townhome in Olathe. Remember the one Debbie and Bryan had? It's pretty much exactly the same one. Same facility, just a different unit. Sandy and I liked it because it reminded us of the tall, narrow homes in Amsterdam.

PS When are babies coming? You're falling behind, sister!