Saturday, July 05, 2008

Arrived in Albania

Hello all,

Just wanted to let everyone know we have arrived safely in the very very warm Albanian climate!
We will be in Tirana for a little over two weeks.

We have been informed by our hosts that the Albanians need prayer against a sense of hopelessness (coming from their former communistic rule-they have only been open for 15 years now) and for a sense of individual worth/destiny (stemming from the group culture which is not wrong but at times individuals can feel unworthy outside their group context).

Bas and I enjoy the very warm, open, loving people. The hospitality has been great and we already feel very much accepted and a part of the group.
Bas played soccer with the guys last night and scored two goals! Despite language barriers, football unites the world.

The school is made up of 7 students: 4 Albanians, 2 Latvians, and 1 guy from Kosovo (quick fact: the youngest state in the world!).
We were able to have several good conversations, and feel connections already (all can speak a minimal level of English and some even are quite proficient). I have noticed that the guys in particular have very gentle spirits. They are quite young guys and it's refreshing to see that in contrast to the usual striving to be cool and tough at such an age.

Please pray for us as you think of it. This will be Bas' first time teaching for an entire week in a school. I may share bits in the classes, but primarily I will be in the class praying as Bas is teaching. I will also just be available after class and during meal times to talk with students and staff.

Love to you all,
Michelle and Bas

No comments: