Friday, October 06, 2006

Great Expectations

I have a love/hate relationship with the internet right now...
I love to be able to keep in touch w/ those I love, but I hate that our wireless connection in this building is so wishy-washy (who came up w/ that phrase anyway?). The good news is that we are in the process of purchasing all new thingies that will make the connection better and more reliable. Because De Poort is so old, the walls are made of the good old stuff and are not so thin like office buildings are these days, therefore, the wireless thingies we have now are not strong enough to penetrate and allow for good connection. This is why I have not had a blog for awhile now.

alright, now for the good stuff: students have arrived! We have finished our second week of classes. The first week was all introduction stuff (the building, Amsterdam, YWAM, ministries, what to expect, etc...). I was quite worn out by the end of the week. Our schedule as staff was non-stop plus I was making a real effort to speak to each of the students and have a meaningful conversation. You all know that I am not fond of small talk. I would like to KNOW people, so to try to do so w/ so many new people (25 in total) was exhausting for my personality. By the time the weekend rolled around, I was craving my alone time. I got it.
This week was taught by one of my favorite speakers from my own DTS. The subject was the Nature, Character, and Father Heart of God. We had times of open worhship and also prayer times for people who have broken areas in their life. It has been sad and beautiful to see how many students came forward for prayer. Each shared their individual struggle then we all prayed for them.
I continue to be amazed by how quickly open and trusting the students are with us as staff as well as with each other. I know this is because of the amount of prayer preparation Bas (school leader) has done well before any of us staff even came to join in his preparations. He also is committed to starting each day in prayer: first on his own, then with us as staff in the mornings, then w/ everyone before class starts, then when classes have finished. I believe this is key to how healthy our school will be...prayer in general, not just Bas but also all of us staff and also the students in their own time.

I had my first one-on-one meeting yesterday. I will be a mentor-type to two students. I was curious as to how comfortable it would be for her during this first meeting, knowing that it can be a bit awkward for the first time to meet with someone. It was so nice though. I prayed beforehand (by myself) that it would all go according to God's plan for her life. I am not supposed to counsel her, that is not the point of these meetings. I am to be a listening ear for things that they may not be ready to share with the group and a sounding board to help them process their experience here as well as be a prayer support. I really got a wonderful girl and I look forward to our coming meetings together. I will meet with my other girl on Sunday. I believe it will also go quite well as I have already had a couple nice conversations with her.

I also have a one-on-one for myself. I struck gold by getting a deep woman of God who continually puts herself before God for Him to work in her as He sees fit. She has a gentle determination in the Spirit that is soothing as well as fearful=she SEES into you. I need this. She is someone that I can be completely open with...maybe more so than any other person in my life so far. She is an incredible blessing.

ok, I believe this is enough for you to chew on for now.
love you all. blessings to each of you (I mean that sincerely).

No comments: