This is an amazing story!:
Once upon a time, in a prison far, far away, God was on the move...
I don't know how many of you I told but this last December I went with the DTS I was staffing to minister in the prison in Singapore. They already had an established ministry with the boys (ages 15-25 roughly) that meets on a weekly basis, so we had the unique opportunity to share and pray with those who attended this weekly meeting.
During my time, I was able to talk one-on-one with a few boys and while I prayed, I really asked for a connection with the Holy Spirit and to speak out what they needed to hear.
The same night we visited, there was a special Christmas Eve service. The pastor invited those who wanted to pray for salvation to come to the front of the room. Normally, none of them would have responded because several were still involved in secret society gangs and a response would mean trouble for them. However, so many were so affected by speaking and praying with our group earlier that day that over 20 of them went forward to renounce their gang involvement and to pray for salvation!
Not only that, but the prison wardens said they could see a glow about many of the boys and they had received a stack (literally 1 inch thick) of good reports from the boys of their experience with our group.
Fast forward a few months to April. You would think the excitement may wear off or at least diminish quite a bit, right? Not so! The boys continued to grow in their hunger for God through prayer and Bible reading, and still spoke of when the YWAM Amsterdam team came to visit.
The prison officials contacted the base leader of YWAM Singapore to discuss this phenomena. They had a meeting with the YWAM base leader to request future involvement in the prison. When they learned what exactly a DTS was, they became convinced that this was just what the boys needed.
Now the door is swung wide open for YWAM Singapore to bring a team in to disciple those interested for a 3 month lecture phase during their last three months in the prison (most have a 1 to 2-year sentence in that prison) then they will have the opportunity to do their 3 month outreach phase in another country!(they will be allowed a passport as a special privilege for the DTS)
What an opportunity! Who would have thought that a little team from Amsterdam would be so honored as to help pave the way for the prisons in Singapore to be discipled and their convicts turned into missionaries! God absolutely astounds me.
I was able to return to the same prison and was there exactly one week ago today. I witnessed that, indeed, the boys who were there in December do remember us and were permanently affected by the meeting. I sat with one such boy a week ago. He is doing very well and growing so much during this time. Prison is a blessing for him because it gives him the opportunity to spend long amounts of quality time with God and grow deep in his faith.
I must say that when a convict prays FOR YOU while you are sitting on the floor of their bare little prison room and the Spirit of God descends in power, it is an experience that forces you to recognize that of our own we can do nothing.
Isn't it just like God to bring Himself to the most unassuming of places and break it open at the seams?
I hope to see Him doing it again, and again, and again...
Friday, June 22, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dear Michelle,
Great to read these stories. I am amazed by what God has done through our little group in that prison. I can't express how happy I am for those guys in prison, they will really be changed by God Himself when they are set free.
Good to read that you and Bas had some time together, as I understand, you two are growing more and more toward each other, that's great.
I have been quite busy this month, I've started working in the regular hospital combined with my work at the psyciatric hospital. It's a whole different job! There's a lot to learn still, but I know why I am doing it. The Mercy Ships are still my drive. And I've also picked up a task as a co-leader in our teen-group, I would love to see God using me there.
I wish you alle the best with teh mosiac in the tabernacle, that's quite a job.
Keep up the good work!
Lots of love
Blessings
Maaike
Post a Comment