Something deep is happening in the spiritual realm in Amsterdam...and lately it has begun to openly show itself on our streets.
No, I am not speaking of the blatant display of immorality that Amsterdam is popularly known for. What I speak of is a spiritual shaking from the heavens.
Two events specifically demonstrate what I mean:
The first is that my church (God's Embassy) held it's first Sunday morning service on the street. What an experience. It was beautiful to be out in the open, with no roof overhead, and have the freedom to worship God while passersby gape in wonder or stop to take the occasional "stealth" picture (from windows of nearby houses or even peeking out from behind light poles to snap a shot from their cell phone--I kid you not!). A few were even bold enough to join in on the service.
We had our service as usual, and I am glad there was no attempt made to have it be a show for the city. It was just us loving God out in the open. I felt a unique strength and pride in what took place that day.
There are plans to have more of these services though the dates are not determined yet (there are several legal hoops to jump through to get the services approved).
The second event was that Hillsong United came to Dam Square. For those of you who do not know, Dam Square is smack in the center of Amsterdam and is the historical beginning of the city. There are still several tourists this time of year and it was a magnificently sunny Saturday. A group of 120 composed a "prayer station". They would walk about the concert fringe and talk to people. Each of them wore a red apron that said "Prayer changes things" or in Dutch "Bidden helpt"(prayer helps) which sounds a bit cheesy or something worthy of rolling your eyes at, but really, (and I speak from experience) it is a very effective tool and people will see the apron and approach you to talk. These prayer station people had great testimonies of salvations and other conversations where God was glorified.
My church had some people in bright pink shirts (the new trendy color for guys in Europe by the way) that said "SMS God naar 4477" (send a text to God at 4477).
When people send a text then they get the web address
which explains the entire gospel and gives opportunity to get in contact to speak with someone if they have questions. There were over 280 visits to the site over the last few days.
During the Hillsong concert I could feel the power of what was happening. This was huge for this city. It is said that nothing to this scale of publicly declaring God has happened like since the Jesus March in the 70's...all I know is that as I looked at the sky, the moving clouds seemed to symbolize to me the moving of the Spirit.
God loves the people of this city. He loves them so much that He has brought me and others together to give of ourselves to see lives changed and made whole.
God's Kingdom is being established here...to be continued.
Monday, September 17, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment